Level 5 Personal Trainer Course
National Diploma in Personal Training
This internationally recognised, NFQ aligned Level 5 programme prepares you for a professional career in the health and fitness industry. The course is designed for people who wish to work as personal trainers and fitness instructors, either as self employed professionals or as part of a health fitness team in clubs around Ireland and internationally. You will develop the knowledge and skills needed to become a competent personal trainer and fitness instructor, dealing with adults of all ages who wish to participate in exercise and physical activity. This qualification is mapped to the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RCF) UK and, through the European Qualifications Framework (EQF), recognised by Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) (comparable to Level 5 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) Ireland). This qualification is also endorsed by the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMPSA) UK.
Anatomy & Physiology for Exercise & Health
- Function & Structure of the Circulatory System
- Function & Structure of the Respiratory System
- Function & Structure of the Skeletal System
- Function & Structure of the Muscular System
- Function & Structure of the Digestive System
- Postural & Core Stability
- Energy Systems and their Relationship to Exercise
- The Endocrine System and its Relation to Exercise
- The Nervous System and its Relation to Exercise
Principles of Nutrition for Physical Activity
- Key Nutritional Terms
- Function of the Metabolism
- Main Food Groups
- Body Composition Analysis
- Calculating Caloric Intake / % Nutrient Breakdown
- Nutritional Goal Setting
- Pre & Post Event Supplementation
Planning & Instructing Personal Training Programmes
- Resources required to deliver a Personal Training Session
- Approaching Consultations/Health Screening/Record Keeping
- Interpreting Health History
- Conditions Requiring Medical Clearance
- Goal Setting and Follow Up Assessments
- Advanced Resistance (Weight) Training
- Advanced Flexibility Training
Instructing Gym Based Exercise / Resistance (Weight) Training
- Professionalism in Fitness Instruction
- Preparing Gym Equipment for Use
- Instructing Gym Based Exercise
- Supervising, Supporting and Motivating Clients
- Machine Weight & Free Weight Training Programmes
- Exercise Progressions and Variations
Supporting Clients who partake in Physical Activity
- Building Effective Working Relationships with Clients
- Addressing Barriers to Exercise/Physical Activity that Clients Experience
- Supporting Clients Participating in Exercise/Physical Activity
- Providing Ongoing Customer Service
Health, Safety & Welfare in the Fitness Environment
- Emergency Procedures in a Fitness Environment
- Health & Safety Procedures in a Fitness Environment
- Controlling Risks in a Fitness Environment
- Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults
- National Diploma in Personal Training (NSC)
- Certificate in Personal Training (OFQUAL)
OFQUAL qualifications are aligned to the National Framework of Qualifications (QQI Ireland) at level 5 and endorsed by the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMPSA) UK. NSC qualifications allow graduates to operate as professional Personal Trainers and are recognised by industry insurance bodies.
Previous qualifications required for this programme: Current Recognised Gym Instructor Qualification endorsed by QQI or OFQUAL.
If you do not hold any fitness qualification you can complete our Gym Instructor programme and progress to our Personal Trainer programme – please visit our Gym Instructor page for more details. Applicants must be computer literate as course notes are provided online and participants are required to submit project work via our online portal. Please contact our admissions office for more information.
Course Fee – €1,200
€1,200 is our early bird option which must be paid in full prior to the course start date. The regular course fee of €1,300 can be paid over two installments during the programme. Course fees and examination fees must be paid in full prior to final assessments.
A non-refundable course deposit of €150 must be paid to reserve a student place on this programme. The balance/first installment of the course fee is due prior to the course start date.
Course fee includes registration, course notes and e-books.
Exam registration and certification fees of €100 are due prior to online assignment grading or attending practical assessments.
This course starts Januaray 2023 and runs over an 8 week period. This is a blended learning programme which involves online lectures, video tutorials and written assignments, coupled with practical in-person sessions.
The following attendance days in Kildare are required while on this programme:
- Saturday January 7, 2023 (10am to 4pm)
- Saturday January 21, 2023 (10am to 4pm)
- Saturday February 4, 2023 (10am to 4pm)
- Saturday February 18, 2023 (10am to 4pm)
How to Apply
To apply, please email [email protected] to request an application form.
Increase Your Knowledge and Qualification
Qualified Personal Trainers can increase their knowledge and skill base by completing our unique National Diploma in Strength & Conditioning – information can be found on this website.