Level 5 Sports Massage Therapist Course
National Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy
The National Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy has been designed to provide you with the requisite knowledge, understanding and skills to work with non-pathological (non-injured) muscle tissue.
In this qualification you will develop your knowledge and understanding of the theory underpinning the practice of sports massage therapy, including functional anatomy and physiology, nutrition, classification of sports injuries and the stages of healing. In addition you will develop the understanding, skills and techniques to plan, prepare for and apply a range of sports massage methods to uninjured clients. You will also enhance your skills to evaluate massage strategies and methods to inform on future practice.
This qualification is accredited by the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RCF) UK, comparable to Level 5 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) Ireland.
On successful completion of this qualification you will be equipped to work in an unsupervised capacity as a sports massage therapist throughout the sport and active leisure industry.
Anatomy and Physiology for Sports Massage
- Understand the structural organisation of the human body
- Understand the structure and functions of the skin
- Understand the structure and functions of the skeletal system
- Understand the structure and functions of joints
- Understand the structure and functions of the muscular system
- Know the structure and functions of the nervous system
- Understand the structure and functions of the endocrine system
- Understand the structure and functions of the cardiovascular system
- Understand the structure and functions of the respiratory system
- Understand the structure and functions of the lymphatic system
- Know the structure and functions of the digestive system
- Know the structure and functions of the urinary system
- Understand the effects of sports massage on the body systems
Principles of Health and Fitness
- Understand the benefits of an active, healthy lifestyle
- Understand the effects of exercise on the body
- Know the components of fitness
- Know the principles of training
- Understand the importance of healthy eating
Principles of Soft Tissue Dysfunction
- Understand soft tissue dysfunction
- Understand the process of repair of soft tissue
Professional Practice in Sports Massage
- Understand legislation required in sports massage
- Understand scope of practice in sports massage
- Understand the standards relevant to the sports massage profession
- Understand the principles of professional practice in sports massage
- Understand how to produce, maintain and store client records
Sports Massage Treatments
- Be able to carry out client assessment
- Be able to devise sports massage treatment plans
- Be able to apply sports massage treatments
- Be able to evaluate sports massage treatments
- Understand the history and development of massage
- Understand the fundamentals of sports massage treatments
- Understand how to assess and screen clients for sports massage treatments
- Understand evaluation of sports massage treatments
- National Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy (NSC)
- Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy (OFQUAL)
OFQUAL qualifications are comparable to Level 5 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) Ireland and have international recognition.
Both NSC and OFQUAL qualifications allow graduates to obtain professional indemnity insurance to practice in Ireland and across Europe.
Previous Qualifications Required:
Leaving certificate or equivalent. Mature applicants (over 25) without a leaving cert will also be considered. Applicants must be computer literate as course notes are provided online and participants are required to submit project work via online learning portals.
Course Tuition Fee: €1,400 (Including Course Notes & E-Books)
Exam Registration/Certification Fee: €100
€1,400 is our early bird option which must be paid in full prior to the course start date. The regular course fee of €1,500 can be paid over two installments during the programme. Course fees and examination fees must be paid in full prior to final assessments.
A non-refundable course deposit of €150 must be paid to reserve a student place on this programme. The balance/first installment of the course fee is due prior to the course start date.
Course fee includes registration, course notes and e-books.
Exam registration and certification fees of €100 are due prior to online assignment grading or attending practical assessments.
This course starts March 2023 and runs over an 8 week period. This is a blended learning programme which involves online lectures, video tutorials and written assignments, coupled with practical in-person sessions.
The following attendance days in Kildare are required while on this programme:
- Saturday March 4, 2023 (10am to 4pm)
- Saturday March 18, 2023 (10am to 4pm)
- Saturday April 1, 2023 (10am to 4pm)
- Saturday April 15, 2023 (10am to 4pm)
How to Apply
To apply, please email [email protected] to request an application form.