Level 6 orthopaedic Sports Massage & injury management
National Diploma in Orthopaedic Sports Massage & Injury Management
The National Diploma in Orthopaedic Sports Massage and Injury Management has been designed to provide you with the requisite knowledge, understanding and skills to work with both non-pathological (non-injured) and injured muscle tissue. This advanced course of study will develop your knowledge and understanding of the theory underpinning the practice of sports massage therapy, including functional anatomy and physiology, nutrition, classification of sports injuries, conducting subjective and objective assessments and stages of healing. In addition, you will develop the understanding, skills and techniques to plan, prepare for and apply a range of sports massage methods to both athletic and non-athletic clients. You will also enhance your skills to evaluate massage strategies and methods to inform on future practice. You will also learn additional muscular and bodywork techniques not offered on other programmes, such as Sports Taping and Strapping, Sports Kinesiology Taping and Sports Dry Cupping.
This qualification is accredited by the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RCF) UK, comparable to Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) Ireland. On successful completion of this qualification, you will be equipped to work in an unsupervised capacity as a sports massage therapist throughout the sport and active leisure industry.
OFQUAL UK qualifications are comparable to Levels 5 and 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) Ireland and have international recognition. Both NSC and OFQUAL qualifications allow graduates to obtain professional indemnity insurance to practice in Ireland, the UK and across Europe.
The National Diploma in Orthopaedic Sports Massage and Injury Management consists of 10 modules, taught part-time through blended learning and completed over a 10-month period (March to December 2023). This is a blended learning programme which involves online lectures, video tutorials and written assignments, coupled with practical in-person sessions.
Anatomy and Physiology for Sports Massage
- Understand the structural systems of the human bodyUnderstand the structure and functions of the skin
- Understand the structure and functions of the skeletal system
- Understand the structure and functions of joints
- Understand the structure and functions of the muscular system
- Know the structure and functions of the nervous system
- Understand the structure and functions of the endocrine system
- Understand the structure and functions of the cardiovascular system
- Understand the structure and functions of the respiratory system
- Understand the structure and functions of the lymphatic system
- Know the structure and functions of the digestive system
- Know the structure and functions of the urinary system
- Understand the effects of sports massage on the body systems
Principles of Health and Fitness
- Understand the benefits of an active and healthy lifestyle
- Understand the effects of exercise on the body
- Know the components of fitness
- Know the principles of training
- Understand the importance of healthy eating
Principles of Soft Tissue Dysfunction
- Understand soft tissue dysfunction
- Understand the process of repair of soft tissue
Professional Practice in Sports Massage
- Understand legislation required in sports massage
- Understand scope of practice in sports massage
- Understand the standards relevant to the sports massage profession
- Understand the principles of professional practice in sports massage
- Understand how to produce, maintain and store client records
Providing Different Sports Massage Treatments
- Understand massage and different treatment therapies
- Understand the environment and resources required for sports massage treatments
- Understand how to assess and screen clients for sports massage treatments
- Be able to carry out client assessments
- Be able to devise sports massage treatment plans
- Be able to apply sports massage treatments
- Understand evaluation of sports massage treatments
- Be able to evaluate sports massage treatments
Providing Subjective & Objective Assessment
- Understand the different types of assessments for sports massage treatments
- Understand the influences and effects of client information on treatment planning
- Understand the purpose of tests involved in an objective assessment
- Be able to perform subjective and objective assessments
- Be able to devise a sport massage treatment plan
Understand and Provide Sports Massage Techniques
- Provide Sports Massage Techniques to prevent and manage injury
- Understand the anatomy and physiology of the major joints of the body
- Understand the effects of anatomy, physiology and pathology on human function
- Be able to apply soft tissue techniques in sports massage treatments
- Understand the principles of soft tissue techniques used in sports massage therapy
- Soft tissue release, corrective frictions, trigger points and muscle energy techniques
Understand Treatment to Support Injury Rehabilitation
- Understand treatments to support injury rehabilitation
- Understand the use of cryotherapy during injury rehabilitation
- Understand the use of heat treatments during injury rehabilitation
Sports Taping & Strapping
Participants will acquire the knowledge regarding the various taping and strapping materials available and gain the practical ability to apply safe, effective taping and strapping to joints and muscles. Areas covered include:
- Pre, application and post application considerations
- Functional Ankle taping * Plantar Fascia taping
- Achilles Tendon off-load * Patellar Tendon off-load
- McConnell’s Taping for Patella-Femoral (Anterior Knee) pain
- Lateral Collateral and Medial Collateral taping for the knee
- Shoulder instability and A/C Joint Strapping
- Lateral Collateral and Medial Collateral taping for the elbow
- Wrist, Thumb and Finger strapping
Sports Kinesiology Taping
Physiotherapists, sports therapists, osteopaths, chiropractors and sports massage therapists have embraced the Kinesiology Taping Method as an effective aid in the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries. Areas Covered Include:
- Functions and Effects of Kinesiology Taping
- Differences between traditional Athletic Taping and Kinesiology Taping
- How does the Kinesiology Taping method work?
- Muscle Technique * Ligament (Tissue Lift) Technique
- Lymphatic Technique * Fascia Technique * Correctional Technique
Sports Dry Cupping
Cupping therapy is a form of therapy where suction cups are placed around various parts of the body. The main principle behind cupping is that the suction created encourages blood and lymph flow to promote the healing of a broad range of medical ailments. Areas covered include:
- Recognising various types of cupping
- Benefits of Sports Dry Cupping * Sports Dry Cupping Strokes
- Reading the body’s response to cupping * Contra-indications
- Sports dry cupping for athletes and improving recovery time
- Manual vs Mechanical Cupping
- National Diploma in Orthopaedic Sports Massage & Injury Management (NSC)
- L4 Certificate in Massage Therapy for Sports (OFQUAL UK)
- National Certificate in Sports Massage (NSC)
- L3 Diploma in Massage Therapy for Sports (OFQUAL UK)
- CPD Award in Sports Taping & Strapping (NSC)
- CPD Award in Sports Kinesiology Taping (NSC)
- CPD Award in Sports Dry Cupping (NSC)
OFQUAL qualifications are comparable to Level 5 and 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) Ireland and have international recognition.
Both NSC and OFQUAL qualifications allow graduates to obtain professional indemnity insurance to practice in Ireland and across Europe.
The National Diploma in Orthopaedic Sports Massage and Injury Management is open to applicants who have a keen interest in working with athletes and the general public, performing sports massage treatments, treating soft tissue injuries and muscular pain. Learners are required to complete 100 recorded practice hours including 25 recorded case studies as part of their self-directed learning. Case studies are based on 5 clients, with 5 treatments per client. This clinical practice ensures that course learners meet strict accreditation requirements.
This primary programme of education is suitable for individuals with or without any prior qualification. The content is delivered to facilitate adult learners of mixed ability. Course learners must be computer literate and have access to a computer with broadband availability. Course notes, powerpoints, e-books and assignments are only available online. Completed assignments are also required to be uploaded online.
Course Tuition Fee: From €3,450
Course tuition fee includes access to our online classroom, course notes, online teaching materials, e-books and the supply of equipment and materials for practical sessions (massage beds, towels, oils, taping and strapping materials etc.). Learner Registration and Assessment Fee: €200
€3,450 is our early bird option (€200 discount) which must be paid in full 4 weeks prior to the course start date. The regular course fee of €3,650 can be paid over 7 instalments during the programme. Course fees and examination fees must be paid in full prior to final assessments and grading of assignments. A non-refundable course deposit of €150 must be paid to reserve a student place on this programme.
Course Fee Option 1: Early Bird Tuition Fee = €3,450 (€200 discount)
- Non-Refundable Deposit = €150
- Final Tuition Payment of €3,300 paid before February 01, 2023.
- Learner Registration and Assessment Fee: €200 (due before week 10)
Course Fee Option 2: Standard Tuition Fee = €3,650
- Non-Refundable Deposit = €150
- 7 Payments of €500 due February 01 to August 01, 2023.
- Learner Registration and Assessment Fee: €200 (due before week 10)
Course Start Date: March 01, 2023
March: Online Lectures / Video Tutorials / Assignments
April: Practical Training Days April 6, 13, 20, 27 (10am to 4pm)
May: Practical Training Days – May 4, 11, 18, 25 (10am to 4pm)
June: Practical Training Days – June1, 8 (10am to 4pm)
July: Online Lectures / Video Tutorials / Assignments / Clinical Practice
August: Online Lectures / Video Tutorials / Assignments / Clinical Practice
September: Practical Training Days – September 7, 14, 21, 28 (10am to 4pm)
October: Practical Training Days – October 5, 12, 19, 26 (10am to 4pm)
November: Online Lectures / Video Tutorials / Assignments / Clinical Practice
December: Clinical Practice / Final Submissions
All Practical Training Days occur on a Thursday at our South Kildare location.
How to Apply
To apply, please email [email protected] to request an application form.
Limited Places Available
The National Diploma in Orthopaedic Sports Massage and Injury Management only runs once a year from our South Kildare location. Next course start date – March 01, 2023. Student places are limited – early registration is advisable.
Increase Your Knowledge and Qualification
Become an internationally recognised coach and trainer by completing our Personal Trainer and Strength & Conditioning programmes. Details are available on this website.